Why My Transparent Journey?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Process For Untitled Part Two

My main premise for this painting is to depict a journey.  I am sharing mine through art in many ways on this blog.  This is not a safe thing to do, it is fearful in many ways.  Millions of questions must be silenced in my mind about that because most of them are not likely to happen and if they do, well...they just do!  I am using this work to reveal the painting process; it is by no means a 'how to paint' course.  It is merely to give art buyers and collectors a good idea of what is involved in completing a painting.  If you have not viewed "The Process For Untitled Part One, it has been posted in a previous blog entry.

At this stage, I am mopping in color and making decisions on what the overall tones will be.  Normally I under paint with one color, but I wanted to do a color composition of sorts and determine the tonal values of the green.  I am looking for a warm, inviting image to call us into the scene.

This stage is the color composition through transparent washes.  It has dried for at least 48 hours before continuing.


This stage is working in the image from the back, forward and bringing it to life.


I have come to a stalling point and dislike the color harmony.  I listed some of my issues below.  I am still building the painting from the back forward and determining lines and shapes.


The painting is too busy which I knew would be a challenge when I started it.  There is a lot going on in the scene, I have to determine the significance of each part and carry it into the whole.  The color harmony and balance is problematic.  I worked last night to bring the painting together.


As I bring all the elements together, it is looking more serene.  The bank on the left is an eyesore; a color attempt that is just not working.  I purposely chose earthy tones in the reflections; this creates a challenge to harmony.  You will understand more completely when it is finished.  Some waiting time will determine whether this is a big bust or the painting can be brought back to a harmonious nature.  Some of the detail that is less significant will be diminished in favor of overall unity.  Right now I am very disappointed and have a big FAIL flashing in my mind.  My first thought was "What could I be thinking, I should have finished and made sure it came out okay first before posting this!"  I find that humorous considering the title of this blog.  The lessons learned are the value within this journey and this aspect never ends.  Why not be transparent about it?


Continued in Part Three, "Walk In The Light".

Copyright 2014 Darlene Dine, use of or reproduction of any image is prohibited and against the law without consent or permission.




1 comment: